We had another one of those gloomy New England days here, where the clouds hang low but it doesn’t rain. Something as simple as sunshine or the lack of it makes a big difference in my outlook! So I thought it was a good time to post the top things I’ve found to really help me as I reach for joy every day – some of these are basic, but each of them can make a big difference…
- Put on your favorite positive music
- Light a scented candle or diffuse an uplifting scented essential oil. (Citrus scents are especially good when you are feeling down!)
- Take a walk, or at least get outside and move around. I have a really hard time with this one when it is cold or cloudy…
- Picture a stop sign in your head every time you find yourself dwelling on something negative
- Concentrate on your breathing – close your eyes and take several nice slow deep breaths.
- Give yourself permission to feel angry/sad/grouchy, etc. Many times these feelings are very normal! A let-down after the holidays, irritability after a bad nights’ sleep, sadness after hearing about something bad – these are all basic human emotions – give yourself permission to feel them, knowing that they don’t “define” you – I think sometimes this is hard if you tend to be a negative person like me!
- Journal. Journaling helps us process what’s going on in our lives – both the bad and the good! It helps us learn and grow from our experiences as we take the time to think things through. If you’ve been feeling a lot of negative emotions lately, maybe you need to take a journaling break. Journaling about the good stuff is a good practice, too, it helps you really remember those important moments, big or small.
And finally – the most important:
- Write down what you are thankful for every single day…